The sailfin lizard is notable not only for its impressive size, but also for its rather spectacular appearance. Adults of this large mottled greenish-grey lizard boast a well-developed crest of tooth-like scales from the nape of the neck down the back .
However, the most distinctive feature of adult males is the erect ‘sail’ of skin at the base of their tail, up to 8 cm high, which provides propulsion for this strong swimmer to move through the water, and probably also plays an important role in territorial display and thermoregulation.
- Scientific name : Hydrosaurus
- Distribution : Philippines, Indonesia, New Guinea
- Average Size : 0.8 m (2.5 ft)
- Life Span : 10 years or more
- Difficulty : Intermediate